Places to go in Iowa City


View IC You Pee in a larger map

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

TCB

I remembered this place so differently, so wrongly. I had held up this
bathroom as a bastion of public space, one of the nicest, cleanest
bathrooms in Iowa City. I remembered warmth and comfort. I remembered
wood. Stained, dark wood grains, perhaps oak. I remembered it so
fondly, but with years between visits, it is either my recall or the
bathroom itself that has faded. Once my favorite bathroom, my
inspiration for much of this writing, my heart breaks over what I
found here. How could I have distorted this in my mind so horribly?
Does the bathroom I pine for exist anywhere now, or had it always been
a hallucination, the result of a drunken trip in a bar I did not
frequent? Now it is nothing but barely adequate and instantly
forgettable to most. As for myself, this 3/5 bathroom will always be
one of the great tradgedies of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment